All the cool kids are using Aero. Make sure you are and that you don’t get stumped with these possible snap-fu’s.
On the Desktop Image:
Right-click on the virtual machine desktop, click Personalize, and select one of the Aero themes available in the window.
The desktops must be Windows 7 or later
The desktops must have virtual hardware v8 or later
The pool must use the PCoIP as the default display protocol
Users can’t choose their own protocol
When you enable the Windows 7 3D Rendering setting, the default VRAM size is 64MB, the minimum size. The max VMRAM is 128MB
Bad Performance with IE9 with non Aero Themes
1.In the Windows 7 Control Panel, open Performance Information and Tools -> Adjust visual effects.
2.In the Performance Options window, select “Adjust for best performance.”
Bad Performance with IE9 in general
Don’t use a GPU rendering when you don’t have one!
Can’t enable Windows Aero themes after switching back and forth
If you enable Windows Aero by selecting a Windows Aero theme, and then disable Windows Aero by choosing the Windows 7 Basic theme, and then continue switching between Windows 7 Basic and Aero, the Windows Aero themes might become disabled. This can happen if you are using a single monitor or multiple monitors. If the Aero Themes become disabled, select the Windows Classic theme, and then select an Aero theme.
If you’re going to use Aero I would recommend two vCPU’s unless you have plans on getting an Teradici APEX offload card(not avialble yet). The screen may look pretty but you want your applications still to work.
Video RAM Storage sizing
With 3D enabled VMware View 5.0 will ask for the amount of RAM to be assigned to video. Follow this great aritcle by Andre Leibovici, ***VMware View 5.0 Video RAM Storage sizing***
Remember to disable the screen saver as well, it will cauing re-connect issues as well not to mention the extra overhead of having it running.
Aero Registry Keys
Added January 30th
Registry Settings to force Aero
Registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM
If the DWM registry key is not found, right click on Windows and then select New –> Key to create new branch and name it as DWM.
3. In the right details pane, create a new DWORD (32-bit value) named UseMachineCheck, and set its value to 0.
4. In the right details pane, create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value named Blur, and set its value to 0.
5. In the right details pane, create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value named Animations, and set its value to 0.
6. Restart the Desktop Window Manager Session Manager in Services in Control Panel (type Services.msc in Start Search), or run the following commands in a command prompt with administrator privileges:
net stop uxsms
net start uxsms
7. Attempt to enable and apply Windows Aero in Windows 7. Restart the computer if required.